Sunday, January 27, 2008

The box shoulders

When I saw Anne Valerie Hash's haute couture debut, I was like, meh. Compare it to the runway showstopping pieces of the other haute couture lines along the likes of Valentino, Jean Paul Gaultier, Dior, just to name a few, and it doesn't excite you in any way. In fact, its quite a downer, seeing how ready-to-wear it is.



But upon second or even a third look, the pieces look amazingly wearable, with its precise constructed gemetric cuts and details that have been tailored carefully to enhance the female physique. Quite a mean feat to do that with delicate fabrics, like that of the debut collection of the up and coming Hash. Perhaps that was what the designer was going for: haute couture pieces that you don't have to wait for special occasions to don it! I like this one in particular, with its unusually sculpted neckpiece and peekaboo quality!


So while I first scoffed at how drab and unwearable the collection is, especially with the box shoulders(in the pictures below) bringing back painful memories of my mum in her huge shoulder-padded suit, I now have to take back my words.

Because when I rumaged through my Bangkok buys, I pull out this top and was struck by the translation of the box shoulders into the high street! Quite wearable really, the (watered down) box shoulder is!


(Don't mind the mess of clothes in my closet at the corner!)

The funny thing is... I bought the top from Bangkok in December last year, while the couture collection was revealed only last week. Ah, the Thais and their uncanny knack for predicting trends...

Sources of pictures: style.com

3 comments:

Lydia said...

the sleeves still have the strings flying everywhere!

C said...

My dear, its a raw hem, thats why its frayed! Hahaha xoxo!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.